Re: ext3-Partition lost after crash !?

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 08:22:25AM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> The workaround is relatively simple; use debugfs to clear the
> journal_inum field, via the command "set_super_value journal_inum 0",
> and then e2fsck will stop blowing out due to the bad journal inode.

This worked well, after fsck I had all top directories in lost+found so I
could simply move the dirs to their original places. I have to look how much
data was lost but so far the most important data is safe. Many thanks!

> It might be worth examining some other inode numbers to see how
> extensive is the damage.  Each inode is 128 bytes long, and IDE disk
> sectors are 512 bytes, so if you're really lucky, only 4 consecutive
> inodes will be damaged.  However, it's much more likely that at least
> a filesystem block's worth (4096 bytes, or 32 inodes) were lost, and
> if you're really unlucky, it may be a lot more than that.

It seems it was 32 inodes - at least I hat to 'y' 32 times to 'illegal inode'.

> Also worth considering before you do anything is the cause of the
> corruption.  It could have been caused by the controller or the IDE
> disk going temporarily insane, in which case hopefully it won't be
> repeated, but if it is repeatable, doing an image backup will probably
> be a good idea.

I'm quite sure that the cause for the fs-corruption is some kind of
connection-failure, since I had problems with this disk as removable disk
only (maybe some loose contact in the removable drawer). There were problems
with the system (which is on the primary IDE master) running normally with
all 4 partitions of this disk (the primary IDE slave) suddenly being gone
although mount still knew about these...
After all now it's fixed normally like it should be...also the other
partitions on that disk are all ok.

> Good luck!!

Seems this is what I had. Many thanks again for your help!

Best regards
--
        Stephan Wiehr
http://www.asta.uni-sb.de/~lynx/