Harddisk gone bad

Hi all,

I know this is the EXT3 list, and my problem is with an  EXT2 filesys, but I cannot seem to find a more suitable list on this server, and I have seen a lot of knowledge go by on this list and in the archives, so I thought I'd give it a try anyway...

Here goes nothing:

I am in a terrible problem: My data disk on my Linux server has gone bad, with approx 18 GB of data on it, and I never got round to installing a abckup system!  :-(  (I know: very stupid!) I never noticed anything before, but I went on vacation, and after returning I simply turned the box on again, and now I have this problem!!!

It gave an error on a short read (attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while trying to open /dev/hdc1. Could this be a zero-length partition?) and I ran e2fsck -cc on it, which seems to have fixed that, however the following inode sweep gives so many 'bad blocks in inode XXXXX', that I am afraid that I'll be left with an empty disk once the check is done...

The majority of the 18 GB are repaceable data (internet downloads, MPEG and AVI movies, MP3's, etc.) but it also contained all the shared documents me and mi wive have, as well as all her embroidery patterns and most painful, the digital photographs of our 2 kids... Esp of our youngest we have mostly digital pictures (birth and the first days after!!!)

Those are the files I want back most dearly!!!

Now when I try to do e2fsck /dev/hdc1 I get 'a corruption was found in the superblock'
When I try e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hdc1 It claims it is not a valid superblock... The same for for instance 32679, a.s.o.

Can anybody help me to retreive as much of my data as possible???

TIA & BRgds

F. Peeters