Re: ext3 and secure deletion of files and file slack

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 08:29:45PM +0100, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 06:14:35PM +0000, Geoff wrote:
>
> > I had in mind the situation in which files have been deleted but
> > their contents have not been overwritten - I do appreciate that
> > Big Powerful Agencies can see past that, but I don't believe I am
> > on their List of Suspects.
>
> I think there's a program called "wipe" doing what you want
>
> $ apt-cache search wipe
> sterilize - Secure (supposedly) file wipe utility.
> wipe - Secure file deletion

On the wipe website, this caveat is mentioned:

3. you're wiping a file in a log structured file system or
any FS that doesn't overwrite the file's previously allocated
sectors or the drive has reassigned one or more sectors due to error

I'm not an expert on filesystems, but "log structured file system" sounds
like a journaled filesystem, so I'm not confident that wipe will work on
Ext3. Another utility for deleting securely, shred, says that it is very
difficult to delete securely on a journaled filesystem.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@attglobal.net)
-- http://lizw090-016.resnet.wisc.edu/~skylar/, http://www.earlham.edu/~thompsk/