Re: ext3 and secure deletion of files and file slack

On Nov 08, 2002  18:14 +0000, Geoff wrote:
> I had in mind the situation in which files have been deleted but
> their contents have not been overwritten - I do appreciate that
> Big Powerful Agencies can see past that, but I don't believe I am
> on their List of Suspects.
>
> Since writing my last post I have compiled secure_delete, - it is
> in fact about 2 years old now and took a good deal of googling to
> find. I am going to put the sfill manpage below.  sfill.c is
> actually quite short (about 10k), but don't won't clutter the
> list with it unless someone asks me to.

Be aware that with ext3 in 2.4.1[89] you will get an error and force
the filesystem into read-only mode if you fill it up completely.
You need to be running an RH errata kernel or 2.4.20-rc, or patched
ext3 for this to work nicely.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger