Re: [reiserfs-list] Re: [ext3-users] To compare Linux journalisedfilesystem, part II.

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 13:08, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2002  18:45 +0200, Fabien Combernous wrote:
> > +--------+------------------------------------------------------------------+
> > | quotas | Again "Y" is not aqual. ext3 accept quota only on data-journaled |
> > |        | filesystems, but all other journaled filesystem don't have data  |
> > +--------+------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> Granted that I have never used quotas, so it is possible that I
> am incorrect.  However, my understanding is that yes, you do need
> data-journaled quota files to ensure that your quota tables don't miss
> some operations after a crash.  However, you can separately select
> data journaling for files in ext3 (via chattr), even if the rest of
> the filesystem is using data=ordered (the default).

data journaling on the quota files is better.  Some quota updates (dqput
calling commit_dquot) are done only by clear_inode(), which should
happen outside the transaction and won't be grouped with the actual
metadata change.

-chris