Re: FS corruption; HTREE-related?

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:51:25 -0400, "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu> said:
> That's a possible theory; but in order for that to be true, not only
> would you be left with a directory entry pointing at a deleted inode,
> you would also have an inode with either no directory entry pointed at
> it, or if the inode was hard-linked, an incorrect reference count.
>
> So the e2fsck transcript should also have showed an unreferenced inode
> which it would offer to move to the lost+found directory, or an
> indication of some inode with an incorrect reference count.  (i.e.,
> the inode refcount indcates that there should be 3 directory entries
> pointing at it, but there are only two).

Yes, I've just looked at our fsck output, and I see this:
----
   Inode 25723211 ref count is 1, should be 2.
   Inode 25723438 ref count is 1, should be 2.
   Unattached inode 25821969
   Unattached inode 25821974
----

Quite a few of those occured. Unfortunately I can't provide more info
because the filesystem is now clean.

Also, we reran the same commands on a loopback filesystem overnight and
failed to replicate the problem. However, this was just one rsync
running, whereas when we had the problem there were 4 simultaneously, so
if the cause was a race condition or load problem, we may not have
triggered it.