Re: Resize journal on root filesystem

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 10:01:38AM -0400, Michael J. Accetta wrote:

> This makes me wonder whether a problem similar to the one I asked about
> last week (removing a journal on the root without immediate reboot) could
> crop up here after resizing the journal on the root.  Is it even safe
> to remount R/W without reboot first in this case?  If so, what makes the
> difference?  If the kernel still has a handle on the old journal somehow,
> then it would seem any write access to the disk would be questionable.

There's no such thing as "resizing the journal".  You can only delete
the journal and recreate it with a new size.  And yes, the same
considerations apply.  You really want to reboot after doing something
like this.  Remounting r/w after deleting and recreating the journal
is not safe, since it's very, very likely that the journal inode is
still cached in kernel memory, and so the kernel won't pick up the
changes that were made on-disk by tune2fs.

						- Ted