Re: Converting root ext3 to ext2?

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 10:08:19PM -0500, Matt Stegman wrote:
> You need to reboot after running the tune2fs command, so that the kernel
> mounts the fs as ext2.  You cannot change filesystem types with a remount.
> Also, I think the journal inode will not be deleted until you run e2fsck,
> after removing the has_journal feature and rebooting.  The linux kernel
> will be fine, but I belive both Norton Ghost and PartitonMagic will choke
> and potentially corrupt your filesystem if you run them while the journal
> inode still exists.

Actually, with reasonably modern versions of e2fsprogs, tune2fs will
remove the journal for you.  For this reason, the correct sequence of
events is to remount the filesystem readonly, run "tune2fs -O
^has_journal", and then either (a) unmount the filesystem entirely and
then remount bit as ext2, or (b) in the case of a root filesystem
which you can't unmount entirely, reboot.

						- Ted