From: Martin Stricker [mailto:shugal@gmx.de]
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 8:17 PM
To: Rechenberg, Andrew
Subject: Re: Auditing filesystems for Linux?

No need to ask twice... ;-))

"Rechenberg, Andrew" wrote:

> Does anyone know of any Linux-based filesystem that does file-level
> auditing and logs based on username?  Does ext2/3 do such auditing
> (stock or with patches)?

Not sure if this does what you need, but ext3 can be told to log file
changes so they can be reverted. I never used this, so please look into
the documentation.

Since this is about a database: If all the files in question are written
and read only by the database server software there is no need for
rw-rw-r--, rw------- will be sufficient: Regardless which user s logged
into the database, the files are accessed by the database server
software, usually running under a database-specific system account
(which prevents login at all). Of course the files must be owned by that
user, if not, change the ownership with chown (as root).

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 7.3 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/