Re: htree 2.4.19-dxdir patch

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 01:28:56PM +0200, Marc-Christian Petersen
> wrote:
>
>> Can you tell me why this only works with new created filesystems with
>> index and not with already created filesystems just using the index
>> mount option?
>
> It should work on existing filesystems, but not on existing
> directories larger than a block.  If a directory already has a
> sequential multiblock layout, then the htree code can't yet go in and
> create a new index for the whole directory.

Is this something that's on the hit-list to fix, or should I anticipate
needing to manually rebuild my various large directories to take
advantage of the performance boost?

          Daniel

--
Thus, if the First Amendment means anything in the field, it must allow
protests even against the moral code that the standard of the day sets for the