ext3 performance FAQ?

I can't find such a beast and was wondering what a sensible configuration
would be for an NFSv3 / SMB file server using quotas on hardware RAID
volumes. I reckon this is a pretty typical setup for an academic dept.

(I think our poor student fileserver's going to have its work cut out when
our lovely students return!)

I'm currently using default options on 2.4.19-pre10-ac2, which seems
stable but perhaps as not as fast as it can be. I'm thinking of upgrading
to 2.4.19-ac4, maybe increasing the journal size (or trying an external
journal--is that stable?), maybe a judicious elvtune..

Has anyone any experience they can share?