A solution to Kernel Panic ... on ext3 only!

Hi,

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 02:41:22PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> OK, given what you've told me, I suspect you can reproduce the failure
> simply by running coverting your root partition back to ext2 (boot a
> rescue system, and then run the command "tune2fs -O ^has_journal" to
> remove the journal), and but leave the fstab entry as ext3.

The fstab entry probably won't matter --- it's the initrd itself which
is trying to mount as ext3.

> One of way of making things more robust is to use an /etc/fstab entry
> which looks like this:
>
> /dev/hda1      /        ext3,ext2    defaults        1 1
>
> This will cause mount and fsck to first try ext3, and then ext2, so
> that in the case where the filesystem is converted back to ext2 due to
> a filesystem error, the system will actually come back up cleanly.

I don't think that will work for the initrd.  The creation of the
initrd would have to parse it when determining what modules need to be
loaded, and the mount inside initrd is done as part of the "nash"
static tiny shell, not via the full-blown mount binary.

> file an enhancement request with Red Hat.  (Or Stephen, who works for
> Red Hat, may be able to file this enhancement request for you.)

Anyone can do so --- there's an "enhancement" priority for bugzilla
reports in the main Red Hat bugzilla database for exactly that reason.

Cheers,
 Stephen