High load on Squid server after change from reiserfs to ext3

On May 24, 2002  13:01 -0400, Andreas Jung wrote:
> We are running Zope behind Squid 2.4Stable6 with squid in acceleration mode.
> The squid box (dual Pentium III 1 GHz, RH 7.2, Linux 2.4.9-21smp, 2GB Ram)
> has during busy hours a normal load of 0.2-0.3 . From time to time
> we see spikes over some hours where the load average of the machine
> is higher than 1.5 although there are no spikes in the CPU
> utilization. Also there is no increase in the number of incoming requests.
>
> The only change we made was the switch from reiserfs to ext3 for the cache
> partition since reiserfs corrupted its partition some time ago.

One simple question - does the increase in the load value actually
affect squid performance?  You say there is no increase in CPU
utilization.  That may be good or it may be bad, depending if the "idle"
CPU is actually waiting on I/O to complete.

What does the output of vmstat on both systems show?  Please send two
traces, one during low load and one during high load.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger