resizing an ext3 partition

I'm getting ready to add some memory to a server running RH7.3
with ext3. I'm going to need to add more space to the swap partition
and so I'll also need to resize an ext3 partition. I've seen some
posts by searching the list that the resize2fs should work fine,
but the man pages don't mention anything about ext3. Version is:
resize2fs 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)

Has anyone actually done this, or should I turn off the journal
and then put it back after resizing?
I'd also like to write this up and put it on the ext3 FAQ at:

http://people.spoiled.org/jha/ext3-faq.html

Which was the first page I found with Google.
Thanks.
--
Joshua Daniel Franklin
Network Administrator