O_DIRECT support

On 2002.05.10 21:31 Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:55:32AM +0100, Ian Leonard wrote:
>
> > I have checked 2.4.18 and 2.5 kernels and there seems to
> > be an interface but no actual implementation.
> >
> > It has been suggested that it only works with ext2 but we
> > need ext3.
>
> That's right.
>
> But the ext2 is pretty much only a wrapper around a generic_direct_IO
> function, so it would be pretty easy to use that same wrapper for
> ext3.  It would be tricky to make it work with data=journal mode, but
> the other data modes ought to be easy to get going.

I my case this wouldn't matter too much. I am trying to improve the
performance of an application that writes video data to the disk. I have
mounted the relevant filesystem with various data= options but it
doesn't seem to make any difference to my test program (which
simply writes a large file to disk and times it).

I am far from familiar with the internals of filing systems. Do you
think this feature is likely to appear in the near future. Also would
it be a 2.4 or a 2.5 thing?

Currently through-put doesn't look too bad but I see that there is a drop
off every 30 seconds. I assumed that this was bdflush and fiddled with
the options but haven't seen an improvement yet.

Thanks for your help. Any words of wisdom appreciated.

--
Ian Leonard
eMail: ileonard@ntlworld.com

Please ignore spelling and punctuation - I did.