ext3 waking hard disk

On Mon, 2002-05-06 at 12:16, Martin Waitz wrote:
> hi :)
>
> when using ext3, i can't get my hard disks to go to standby mode
> any more. i am using timeouts set by hdparm with 2.4.18 kernels.
>
> even when i issue a standby command manually, the disk
> spins up again after a few seconds.
> however, (to my knowledge) no user space program accessed
> this disk at that time.
>
> i suspect ext3's journal to be causing the disk accesses.
> is that possible?

Maybe you have something writing to the disk behind your back. I
experienced this with process accouting. When turned on the kernel will
write data to a file (/var/log/pacct) periodically. On redhat 7.2
machines process accouting is enabled at boot time if the "psacct"
package is installed. Just uninstall that package. You might also have
some other things running and writing data from cron, like the systat
package. Note that ext3 will only wait 5 seconds with dirty data to be
written to disk.

> sorry if this has already been discussed...
>
> --
> CU,		  / Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen, Germany
> Martin Waitz	//  [Tali on IRCnet]  [tali.home.pages.de] _________
> ______________/// - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ///
> dies ist eine manuell generierte mail, sie beinhaltet    //
> tippfehler und ist auch ohne grossbuchstaben gueltig.   /
> 			    -
> Wer bereit ist, grundlegende Freiheiten aufzugeben, um sich
> kurzfristige Sicherheit zu verschaffen, der hat weder Freiheit
> noch Sicherheit verdient.
> 			Benjamin Franklin  (1706 - 1790)
Diego Santa Cruz
PhD. student
Publications available at http://ltswww.epfl.ch/~dsanta
Signal Processing Institute (ITS) -- formerly LTS
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL)
EPFL - STI - ITS, CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
E-mail:     Diego.SantaCruz@epfl.ch
Phone:      +41 - 21 - 693 26 57
Fax:        +41 - 21 - 693 76 00