hardware or software bug?

On Apr 16 Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 05:02:55PM +0100, Matt Bernstein wrote:
>> At 14:20 +0100 Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
>>
>> >More seriously, since 2.4.11, there's a page-cache/buffer-cache
>> >aliasing problem which can lead to this being hit in ext3 if you
>> >merely read from the buffered block device on which the fs sits.  This
>> >can happen, for example, if you dump(8) a live filesystem.  I've got a
>> >fix pending for the ext3 side of that problem, and have posted the
>> >core VFS fix to l-k.
>>
>> *blush* We dump our filesystems live. I bet we're not the only ones.
>
>Indeed, it's common enough, but it's unsafe for various reasons.  With
>LVM, it should work a bit better.
>
>At least with the current patches, it shouldn't oops any more.

Now our student fileserver has hit exactly the same bug :(

This is running 2.4.18, so the question is.. what are the "current
patches"? I'm looking for something stable, so I was shying away from -pre
kernels on this particular box. I'd really appreciate a link on the ext3
web page to a patch versus the most recent full 2.4 kernel for critical
bugs such as this, or a recommendation of a good -pre kernel.

Sorry to be a pain!

Matt