mv to /tmp = baby's birthday jpg's lost.

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 09:57:49PM -0500, Ignacio Valdes wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Yesterday I moved using the mv command in Redhat 7.2 ext3 file system to
> move to /tmp  my /mnt/win98/"My Pictures" directory to tmp.  The command
> executed normally, and I actually verified that the subdir was created
> in /tmp and the files were there in /tmp/"My Pictures"
>
> I was doing this to temporarily free space on my vfat windows 98
> partition. When I went to move the pictures back today, after shutting
> the system down last night ALL of the subdirectories and pictures except
> the last one in the list 'Unfiled photos' were GONE.  The same thing
> occurred with "My Music" using the same operation.  "My Music" is there,
> as well as the last subdir, but nothing else is. All of "My Music" is
> restorable from CD, most of the pictures are on CD with the exception of
> my baby's 1st birthday which was two weeks ago and had not been backed
> up yet. They are jpg's with codes like: p3180010.jpg
>
> I sure would like to have these pictures back as they were the only ones
> taken of his 1st birthday. Can anyone help?

Many distribution init scripts will delete all files in /tmp on boot.

In debian you can tell it to only delete files a certain number of days old
in /etc/defaults/rcS.

You are now in the world of ext2/3 undelete.  With ext3 things are much
worse because some of the filesystem meta-data is zeroed out upon unlink
because of some journaling requirement(I haven't seen any explanation as to
*why* this is so hard to remove in ext3).

If you wish to try, you should stop using the ext3 filesystem that contains
/tmp *immediately*.

Mike