Looking for IO equivelent to tcpdump

Okey, this might be considered slightly off topic, but I thought this would be a good place to ask.

I've been having some problems on my workstation, where I see the disk being pounded away at, however I don't know whats causing it.  No large disk transfers are (should) be happening during these times, no database reconstructs, not the dreaded "locatedb" updater, just X, a window manager, and a web browser.  It's possible that they could be caused by JavaScript doing naughty things, and most browsers are know for doing things they shouldn't, but I have no way to prove this.

If I have a tool to look, I might be able to get a better idea whats causing it.
So, are their any tools for doing this, _besides lsof_?  LSOF is a great tool, but I'd be much more interested in watching the IO calls directly.  On most OS'es this would be ludacrus, but on Linux its a good possibility that there is something out there.  Any ideas?  Or should I stick with LSOF?

brockwood@homestead-inc.com