software vs. hardware with ide Raid 1

>>>>> "Steven" == Steven Lembark <lembark@wrkhors.com> writes:

Steven> You're nearly always better off using hardware RAID for the
Steven> simple reason that a kernel glitch is that much less likely to
Steven> blow off your storage.

Software Raid is better, you have more control over things.  Right now
I'm fighting a HW Raid controller on a Sun box which will only rebuild
one mirror pair at a time, even if I don't care what impact that will
have on my data access, since my data is toast right now anyway.

With software raid, I can do rebuilds as fast as my CPU can
controllers can push the data, which is alot faster than currently.

In their time, HW RAID was a good idea.  These days, Moore's law has
caught up with such a vengeance that it's not worth doing anymore.

John
   John Stoffel - Senior Unix Systems Administrator - Lucent Technologies
	 stoffel@lucent.com - http://www.lucent.com - 978-399-0479