Offtopic: 3ware Raid Controllers

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:06:32PM +0100, Michael Renner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I know this is a little bit offtopic, but i couldn't think of any other
> place where i can get uninfluenced first hand information on these
> controllers :)
>
> I've read about and experienced data loss/system lockup with older 3ware
> controllers, but the 3ware Escalade 7xxx (i'm especially interested in the
> 7850) sounds too good to ignore it (8 channels, 8 drives, raid 0/1/5/10,
> drive-side ide bus, system-side scsi bus).

  I have been using the series 5xxx on rpmfind.net and fr.rpmfind.net for
2 years now (but in JBOD mode, no RAID). It's the best decision I did
hardware wise on the rpmfind boxes IMHO.

> Does anybody use Escalade 7xxx in production systems? How does it perform?
> If it's not any good, do you know any other IDE Raid controllers with
> similiar specs like the 3ware?

  I just migrated the speakeasy rpmfind.net mirror to this configuration
(7xxx + RAID 5) it had been running for one week now. I got a bug
it it wasn't looking like related to 3Ware but rather an ext3/TUX
interraction bug.

  Oh, while we are in the nearly-religious-hardware-feeling-dept,
I only use Maxtor 5400 rpms drives.

Daniel