another quota related ext3fs crash...

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 mb/ext3@dcs.qmul.ac.uk wrote:

> At 03:32 +0100 Michael Renner wrote:
>
> >well, it's an -ac kernel, the main reason for using it is the vfsv0 quota
> >(and the somehow better vm during the major vanilla-vm wrapup from 2.4.7
> >till 2.4.15 or so)
> [snip]
> >devfs kernel + userland daemon running, local APIC (uniprocessor system)
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Bzzt. Do you *need* devfs? Personally I've found it very crashy.

not necessarily, haven't got any problems with it though. I'll deactivate
it in the next kernel...  what kind of instability did you experience with
devfs?

> >cpu is a athlon 1400mhz, 3 256MB dimms (should be fine, infineon ram
> >with manufacturer warranty)
>
> never hurts to run memtest86 even on RAM you thought good

i'll try that too but i doubt that the ram is bad, i had uptimes around 60
days without any probles (which where only interrupted by kernel upgrades
and/or those dreaded ext3 crashes)

best regards,
michael