ARE: Changing journaling mode on root / loop-aes

Ivan:

	Well there are some several reasons for using GRUB, where it
seems to do a far better job than lilo.

	Firstly, I can more easily edit kernel options using grub, and
if I am building a kernel and I do not run lilo before rebooting I just
wasted time and efforts. I also can easily edit kernel command line
options right as the boot process begins, rather than having to edit
/etc/lilo.conf and rerun the lilo command again.

	Secondly, I need the initrd because I am planning the
implementation of loop-aes as my encryption layer for encrypting the
root partition. This makes requisite the need for an initrd, and for the
ext3 modules to NOT be part of the kernel. Perhaps one day RedHat (as
did SuSE) will offer a form of encrypting filesystem (see
loop-aes.sourceforge.net), which allows both the root and other (/home
for example) partitions to be encrypted using an encryption standard as
powerful as what the NSA approved (AES-256). In the way I plan to
configure my system, I will have AES-256 encryption for root and /home
partitions!

	Thirdly, I intend to implement a module to use the smartcard
reader I have to allow my CAC (DOD ID card, which I will be issued this
year) as the means of supplying the passphrase for loop-aes; this again
must be done via initrd as a part of the boot up process.

	I had given some attention to the "indenticator" as a potential
means of using a fingerprint scanner as the input for the passphrase,
but I opted with the smartcard reader, since the cost was much lower and
result not too much different from using the indenticator. The smartcard
reader costs $17, whereas the fingerprint scanner would have cost
significantly more with not much of a greater ROI.

	Lastly, my machine triple-boots XP, Solaris and Linux, and I
find GRUB to be a far better boot loader than lilo. Lilo is passé and
many Linux users are moving wholesale to GRUB. I also intend to one-day
run "hurd", and for a booting of hurd you must use GRUB.

Very Respectfully,

Stuart Blake Tener, IT3 (E-4), USNR-R, N3GWG
Beverly Hills, California
VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit)
stuart@bh90210.net
west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859

Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's
free!)

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

Tuesday, July 09, 2002 1:17 AM