Ext3 OOPS when root device lost

Oh gurus of ext3...

We have an application (it's essentially a watchdog) that monitors
i/o on the root partition of our Linux system.  What we would like
to have happen is in the event that the root file system "goes away"
(e.g. the SCSI cable is pulled from the storage device containing
the root drive), we want to panic the kernel.  We have tried using
the "-e panic" option of tune2fs but that did not seem to do what
we expected.  What we have observed is that when the root device
goes away ext3 will oops and the system hangs.  No panic occurs.

Any suggestions (tune2fs, ext3 module or kernel options)?

FYI, ext3 is compiled as a module in this configuration.  We have
not yet tried with ext3 built into the kernel.

Oops trace available on request.

...Roger...