help with 2.4.18 oops - sorry was 2.4.16

Martial Herbaut wrote:

> fsck.ext3 -f /dev/sda2
> Yes many times, it then recovers, boots up normally then a few errors
> later same error all over again.. :(  -> loop fsck-error-fsck
> The worse thing is that I also since then forced that partition (root) to
> ext2 in the fstab but for some reason unknown to me it persists to wanting
> to commit to journal anyway even though the partition shows mounted ext2..
>
> what do you think?

Very strange.  Sounds like the metadata for the journal file
itself is wrecked.

It's the root filesystem - the kernel mounts that itself,
so /etc/fstab has no effect.  Look in /proc/mounts and you'll
see that it's really mounted by ext3.

Try removing the journal altogether:

	tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda2
	e2fsck -f /dev/sda2

this should convert the filesystem to ext2.  You can then boot
with it as ext2, then run `tune2fs -J /dev/sda2' to turn it
back to ext3.