data=journal on Redhat 7.2?

On Thursday, January 31, 2002, at 05:09 , mb/ext3@dcs.qmul.ac.uk wrote:

> On Jan 29 Bill McGonigle wrote:
>
>> Has anyone been successful in getting the stock Redhat 7.2 kernel to
>> run
>> an ext3 partition in data=journal mode?
>>
>> I've set the option in /etc/fstab and made a new inital ramdisk,
>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Why did you do this? Which volumes are you changing?

The goal is to convert an existing root volume (for syncronous NFS
writes).  From what I've read ext3 needs to know that the volume is
data=journal, and it can't get that from the real fstab until it's too
late, hence the initrd.

If it was just my machine I'd recompile the kernel and be done, but I
have to convert about 40 machines, all with disparate hardware. RedHat
7.2's kernel config seems to run on them properly and it's already been
through our ISO process.

Thanks,
-Bill