Change defaults to data=journal on /

On Thursday, January 17, 2002, at 03:26 , Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 03:26:30PM -0800, Gabe E. Nydick wrote:
> > How come if I install a fresh redhat 7.2 system and change fstab from
> > defaults to data=journal for the / file system, it breaks everything?
>
> Because you can't change the data journaling mode for a mounted
> filesystem --- ext3 complains if you try --- and /etc/fstab is not
> readable when root first gets mounted, so it necessarily always gets
> mounted with the default ordered journaling mode.
>
> I'll hopefully overcome this limitation in the future, either by
> getting mkinitrd to read the journaling mode from fstab when creating
> the initial mount script, or by letting ext3 store journaling modes
> persistently in the filesystem superblock so that we can set a
> different default for root.

I'm attempting the same and run into a symbol resolution problem in
lib/ext3.o whether I use mkinitrd with 'defaults,data=journal' as my
fstab ext3 options or I manually tag '-o data=journal' to the / mount
command in linuxrc on the initrd image.

Is the Redhat 7.2 stock kernel capable of running in data=journal mode?
Would there be additional module dependencies in that mode or do I just
have something else wrong?  (The filesystem is running ext3 with the
defaults just fine).

If someone has a recipe that'd be great.

Thanks,
-Bill
-----
Bill McGonigle