Unstable file systems since upgrading to RedHat 7.2 Ext3

Mr. Pasco-

    I have experienced problems similar to the ones you describe under the
following
circumstances:

    1- I have Hard NFS mounts
    2- I have the ACL patch for kernel 2.4.9 installed from acl.bestbits.at
    3- I am running on a multiprocessor machine
    4- I have quota support compiled into the kernel regardless of whether
        I am actually mounting any local file systems with quota support
enabled.

    I have upgraded to kernel 2.4.16 compiled with the RH7.2 kernel
config file from Redhat- with three notable exceptions:

    1- I turn off the "tux" kernel httpd
    2- I turn on ext2+ext3 extended attributes and acl support
    3- I turn off quota support in the kernel

    I don't know if this will help you at all, as our situations do not
seem to be identical.  There is also a RedHat 7.2 nfs utils  rpm
file out there available for download.  I can't recall if it was
a general bug fix or a security issue, but I've been installing it
on all fresh systems lately before I go into production.  I have ceased
to do hard nfs mounts when a Linux box is part of the picture.

    With these considerations, my stability over the last 40ish days
has improved radically.  I went from 4-5 server crashes a day
in a farm of 25 machines, to absolutely zero since mid-December.

    Hope this helps you some.

Thanks,
    Darrell McGuire