Major problems

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 08:21:11PM -0600, Skylar Thompson wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 09:37:44PM +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> > There's not enough information here for us to have any hope of
> > diagnosing it accurately.  What sort of IO errors were you getting?
> > -EIO errors returned to the application, or IO errors from device
> > drivers in the kernel console?
>
> No, nothing like that. Whenever I tried accessing an affected file, I would
> get something like this:
>
> foo: Input/output error.

That _can_ be due to internal fs corruption, but it's most often due
to hardware bad sector errors.  It's the standard filesystem error
code returned when the fs notices something bad on disk, whether
that's a failed IO or a data inconsistency.

> I never got errors of any kind to the console, just to stderr. This is why
> I suspect it might be a filesystem problem, rather than a physical disk
> problem.

Did you try "dmesg" to list the full kernel console log?  There are
console settings which limit the echoing of kernel errors to the
console, but "dmesg" will the entire recent kernel log in one go.

Cheers,
 Stephen