ext3, S/W RAID-5 and many services

Well, I have no kernel message.

I did have some traps (I guess these are messages from a segfault of a
module) from the raid5 code to resync the disks after an improper
shutdown, but I tracked this down to a failing RAID-array disk. After
replacement of the disk, resyncing the array,  reformating and restoring
the data, I never saw any kernel failures (it's now about 2 weeks, the
machine is running constantly and used by 2-3 users in day time for the
moment).

Also, my backups are from before the disk failure. How bad can this
affect the behavior of the system, if the files I have restored are
corrupt ? I should not thwart the FS, should it?

Is there a way to detect failing disks ? (my guess is no, but I still
ask...)

Pascal