Ext3 vs. Reiser?

Zoiah writes:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 05:26:55PM +0100, Martin Eriksson wrote:
>> I was just wondering how Ext3 and Reiserfs compare. When I reinstalled my
>> server (because of a stupid hacker) I took the opportunity to change to
>> ReiserFS. And I have to say it's really much faster than Ext3.
>> =20
>> So what's some highlights on Ext3 vs. ReiserFS? I guess the Ext2
>> compabil=
> ity
>> is one large factor for using Ext3, but otherwise?
>
> I ran some benchmarks recently to test performance of several Linux
> filesystems under heavey synchronous load (ie a mail server).  For this,
> ext3 data=3Djournal was nearly twice as fast as ReiserFS.
>
> See http://bruce-guenter.dyndns.org/benchmarking/

I see in your benchmark that EXT3 is actually performing better than EXT2.
How is that possible? Because as far as I know EXT3 is just EXT2 +
journalling which means more work for the HD.

Looking at the benchmark on
http://www.mandrakeforum.com/print.php?sid=1212&lang=en I see that EXT3
performs equal or slower than EXT2.

Just wondering,