Change defaults to data=journal on /

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 03:26:30PM -0800, Gabe E. Nydick wrote:
> How come if I install a fresh redhat 7.2 system and change fstab from
> defaults to data=journal for the / file system, it breaks everything?

Because you can't change the data journaling mode for a mounted
filesystem --- ext3 complains if you try --- and /etc/fstab is not
readable when root first gets mounted, so it necessarily always gets
mounted with the default ordered journaling mode.

I'll hopefully overcome this limitation in the future, either by
getting mkinitrd to read the journaling mode from fstab when creating
the initial mount script, or by letting ext3 store journaling modes
persistently in the filesystem superblock so that we can set a
different default for root.

Cheers,
 Stephen