Recovery

--- "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 07:24:15PM -0800, Linux
> Pquter wrote:
>
> > When the system tried to come up, it couldnt mount
> > root. It dropped me straight into single user
> mode.
>
> It _did_ mount root, otherwise you could not be in
> single user mode.
> What errors did you get, when, exactly?  If you
> mount /proc, what does
> /proc/mounts show?

Your system appears to have shut down uncleanly
Press Y within X seconds to force file system
integrity check...
Checking root filesystem
(null):
The superblock could not be read or does not describe
a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and
it really contains an ext2 filesystem, then the
superblock is corrupt, and you may try dunning e2fsck
with an alternate superblock

fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /

Give root password for maintenance
or Control-D for normal startup

This is what I meant by not being able to mount root
and dropping me to single user. When I wrote this last
night I was at home doing a memory dump. Now I copied
what is on the screen at work. Yep, didn't have the
time to do a thing about my system yet...

cat /proc/mounts
/dev/root / ext3 ro 0 0
--is the relevant entry

-Mike