e2fsck: bad magic number in super-block

Hi,
I'm on kernel 2.14.13-ac8 running Redhat 7.1. I've
successfully converted all my file system to ext3 and
is working fine for a couple of weeks. However, I did
a silly thing when I e2fsck (version 1.23) an ext3
/home partiction without umounting it. Now, I believe
my partiton super-block is corrupted and the system
wasn't able to mount /home. I tried as suggested to do
a e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hdaX but returned with the "bad
magic numer in super-block while trying to open
/dev/hdaX". I've also tried debugfs and have the same
error.
As I've data on /home partition, I would very much
hope to recover it. Short of doing a make2fs to create
a new ext3 partition, is this a there any hope to
recover the data? Thanks and would greatly appreciated
any pointers or suggestion.

SB