root fs upgraded to ext3 on rh 6.2 based machine problem when not cleanly unmounted

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 03:20:03PM +0100, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> Now I'm using kernel 2.4.17 with ext2 in core and ext3 as a module, so I
> have the two jbd.o and ext3.o files under /lib/modules tree.
>
> If I power off cleanly my system I have no problem rebooting and the
> filesystem type of them is ext3 (I put ext3 for root and auto for the
> others in fstab).
>
> If I power off uncleanly the machine, root has to make fsck (in the long
> ext2 way and complaining also), while for the other file systems the
> journal is applied and in few seconds they are ok and after booting they
> are all ext3.
>
> What is the problem with root filesystem?

The problem is that it's tricky to use ext3 as a module, and wanting
to mount the root filesystem as ext3.  In order to do this, you have
to arrange your initrd image so that it loads the ext3 module before
it mounts the root filesystem.  Otherwise, the root filesystem gets
mounted as ext2, and so you don't get any of the benefits of using the
ext3 filesystem.  Remember, the filesystem is backwards compatible, so
just because you've added an ext3 journal, the filesystem can still be
mounted using ext2 --- and if you're using a kernel with ext2 built
in, and ext3 as a module (but not loaded), it will be mounted using
ext2.

The easist thing to do is to build a kernel that has ext3 compiled in.
Alternatively, you can muck with the initrd image so that the ext3
module is loaded before the (real) root filesystem is mounted.

						- Ted