System hang during write of large files

>    As we tried 3 of these extents in one run of the extent utility, the
> system hangs without any error message. The master console was also
> dead; we could enter root but the password prompt never comes up.

Wow. Sounds just like the problem we currently have with one of our servers
running Red Hat 7.2. It's hard to say if it's really an ext3-related
problem but anyway the server freezes whenever it wants to do it.
The same symptoms than above - login prompt allows me to enter root but the
password prompt never appears. If I'm already logged in, I may be able to
use commands which are already loaded in memory. Stuff which has to be
loaded from hd never loads.

Physically the server seems to be blinking it hard drive lights as
normally.

And the server...

- IBM xSeries 330
- Red Hat 7.2
- 1 GB RAM
- 200 GB HD w/ ext3
- IBM ServeRAID 4M
- 2x Adaptec 7899P

The latest Red Hat cooked kernel I tried (2.4.9-21) gives something
like 1-6 hours of uptime. My own home-cooked and salted kernels are
able to run our server something like 10-40 days before crashing, no
more. At least not yet. :-) The latest kernel I have compiled myself is
2.4.18-pre9 and it's having the same symptoms...