[Off-topic] Battery Backed NVRAM for journals ...

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 05:21:45PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> "Bryan J. Smith" wrote:
> >
> > I've seen this come up on occassion, but every NAS OEM that uses
> > NVRAM I've ever talked to over the last 18 months won't tell me
> > anything about their equipment nor their suppliers.
>
> A fair bunch of people did a fair bunch of testing of this last year.
> Bottom line: RAM-based journals don't speed ext3 up.

Well, they did, but in general it was no better than adding an
external disk-based journal.  However, for some specific workloads,
there _is_ a big difference --- synchronous NFS servers, for example,
where latency is a big factor.

I've got an NVRAM board on order at the moment so I hope to have
numbers of my own quite soon.

Cheers,
 Stephen