2GB of Waste? How can it be?

Bryan:

	First off I will say I never knew any of the things that you say
about XFS, and if it is all true (and I have no reason to think
otherwise), then I will try XFS out, and see what it gets me. This
thread had initially started because I had asked why when I formatted an
EXT3 16GB partition I would have 14GB free, and when I formatted the
very same partition with ReiserFS I have 16GB free. It was not even a
matter of curiosity in as much as I noticed it only after the restore of
my files failed, predicated upon their not being enough space to restore
to, and I knew the partition had not changed in sizes from what it was
prior to the backup and reformatting of it.

	While I can have appreciation for the security in terms of
quotas and ACLs, again for a laptop user of Linux, it is not as big a
concern for me, as it would be if I were running a server.

	If EXT3 gains tail packing soon (presuming this is part of the
difference as to why my 16GB partition did not restore from tape when
the partition was formatted as a 16GB EXT3, and had enough space when
reformatted as ReiserFS 16GB partition), then I would move back to EXT3.
Whatever happened when I used EXT3, I had 14GB of free space, not 16GB
free (as I did with ReiserFS), and it prevented all the data from being
restored since there wasn't enough room.

Very Respectfully,

Stuart Blake Tener, IT3 (E-4), USNR-R, N3GWG
Beverly Hills, California
VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit)
stuart@bh90210.net
west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859

Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's
free!)

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

Sunday, January 13, 2002 4:38 AM