2GB of Waste? How can it be?

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 11:50:24AM -0800, IT3 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR-R wrote:
> 	I understand that modifying ext2/ext3 absent backwards
> compatibly is a big deal, but I think adding that function would be a
> wonderful thing.

That sentence suggsts that you *don't* know that it would be a big deal.
Let me explain "big deal" in more concise terms:

	"big deal" == "lots of bugs"

A file system is more than the on disk format, it is also the collection
of tools and knowledge that understands that on disk format.  You break
that format and all of a sudden all sorts of things you didn't consider
will cease to work.

> 	I also would like to see RH 7.2 be able to install into a
> ReiserFS filesystem (or any type of filesystem with Linux, Mandrake
> allows this), and think it is somewhat arrogant of RedHat to disallow
> that option in the installer.

Mandrake is a fine release.  If you are happier with that than Red Hat,
why not use it?  I don't agree that it is arrogant of Red Hat at all.
I think that they are trying ro minimize their support costs and maximize
their stability.  If you ran Red Hat I suspect that your tune would change
in a day or less, right after you wandered through whereever they have
the bank of people answering the phones.

And by the way, I don't work for Red Hat, or get money for Red Hat,
and I'm well known for beating the hell out of Red Hat when I think
they do the wrong thing.  In this case, I agree with their approach,
I think it is the right answer.
--
---