Total lockups using ext3

For several months I have had frequent lockups using 2.4.x kernels. They
began with about 2.4.10 and have continued down to 2.4.17.

They always occur when I am online, downloading. The moden stops, the
hard disk light is on, and no key works. They never happen with 2.2.20
or with earlier (i.e. pre-ext3) 2.4 kernels, and they never occur on my
laptop with any kernel, including those using ext3.

Since inactivating ext3 (by changing /etc/fstab) the lockups have ceased
to occur.

I therefore conclude that the lockups are due to ext3. I can manage
without it but would like to use it if possible. Any suggestions please?

BTW, this is an Intel Coppermine 600Mhz, with 192M memory.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For an electronic book (The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]