power management and ext3 - mount as ext2?

Hi,

Newbie question here.  I've read some about how you can't power down a
disk under ext3 because of the journaling writes.  I also know I can
mount my ext3 partitions as ext2.

What about mounting the partitions as ext2 while mobile on batteries?
The hard disk would spin down when it wasn't in use (if noflush, etc.
has been configured).  But what about data integrity when remounting as
ext3 later?

I figure this is a good a place as any to start learning about the file
system.

T21 Thinkpad with rh7.3 and Ximian Desktop - lilo, / (ext3), /home
(ext3), and /swap

Bret