Problem for fsck

Hey,
     i have compiled ext3 as a module in the kernel.
Also my entry for my / partition in the fstab says
ext3, but when there is a power failure and i reboot
the fsck starts running? Also it starts doing its
normal procedure, with the 'salvaging and other fixes'
      Why is it so? also when i do a 'lsmod' it does
not show the ext3 in it. Even dmesg shows that my / is
initially being mounted as ext2 (when it is mounted as
readonly dureing boot time ?)
      But more strangely, when i type in 'mount' it
shows that my / is mounted as ext3 . Why is this so???
Is it because i haven't changed the 1 1 in my fstab to
0 0.

Can neone tell me what is happening???
Kedar.