Problems with ext3 fs

Following up on this for the sake of posterity. I know what it's like to
follow a promising thread only to see it dead-end without a result :P

I can consistently and immediately reproduce filesystem corruption with
my setup (dual xeon,ext3,RH 2.4.9-31smp) when the root partition uses md
raid-1 and I run fsck -f on it. I can completely stop all previous raid
devices and reformat the drives, do a fresh redhat 7.2 install with the
root drive mirrored, touch "/forcefsck", and on the very next reboot
fsck will fail hard enough to dump into single user mode. All the files
that were deleted (including temp files) during the previous uptime are
showing up with various inode problems. Just for kicks, if I "fsck -f
-n" the individual partitions, not /dev/md*, they show up completely
error-free. The fsck on the mirrored root drive appears to be
destructive. After running it between 2-4 times bad things happen.. X
doesn't start, logs don't open, etc. If you do not run fsck -f on the
mirrored root filesystem, it appears to work fine.

This whole investigation actually started because I fielded a mirrored
root system at a location with bad power and a bad UPS, and the machine
went down a few times. When a redhat machine shuts down uncleanly it
asks if you want to run a manual fsck (ie, fsck -f). The person on site
said yes, which killed the box, which left me scratching my head for
weeks why a power outage would cause filesystem corruption under ext3.

So, this is has been a real eye-opening experience for me. Is there any
way to detect ext3 filesystem corruption on a mirrored root other than
using e2fsck? Should I be confident enough to trust the journal to do
its job?

Thanks for everyone's advice and patience,
-D