How well ext3 will tolerate errors?

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Define corruption.  Do you mean lost data, or bogus data?

Both, first one is lost data, ie. case when hardware will told that there
is error. The second one is case when there is memory bit flip-flop or
other error and loop-AES is feeding at least 1024 bytes chunk of garbage
to the ext3-system. This case is the most intresting, because I think
it will cause the worst damage, right?

> The journal area is mostly unused unless you crash.  If that happens,
> e2fsck needs to take care of things.
> If the error is data corruption, then either parts of the journal will
> be silently ignored (corrupting active metadata on the fs), or you'll
> end up copying garbage to active filesystem metadata.

And the metadata will be corrupted (obviously). What then? Is it
recoverable by e2fsck? I guess that the answer would be "it depends" but I
try to figure out if I am shooting myself to toe, foot or head with this
hd - loopAES - ext3 combo in the case of data corruption (bogus data).

> Bitmaps, inode tables, directories.

What are the changes that these errors are recoverable?

Best Regards, Jani

--
Jani Averbach