hardware or software bug?

At 14:20 +0100 Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

>> >Assertion failure in do_get_write_access() at transaction.c:611: "!(((jh2bh(jh))->b_state & (1UL << BH_Lock)) != 0)"
>
>What were you doing at the time?  Writing to the live fs can cause
>this (that's normally illegal, but "tune2fs" can do it safely in some
>cases, eg. to write a new volume label.)

It was about 2am, so *we* weren't doing anything, but the backups will be
running.

>More seriously, since 2.4.11, there's a page-cache/buffer-cache
>aliasing problem which can lead to this being hit in ext3 if you
>merely read from the buffered block device on which the fs sits.  This
>can happen, for example, if you dump(8) a live filesystem.  I've got a
>fix pending for the ext3 side of that problem, and have posted the
>core VFS fix to l-k.

*blush* We dump our filesystems live. I bet we're not the only ones.

We figured it would be "more stable" if less correct to do live dumps than
do LVM snapshotting or the like. But I love the snapshotting for fsck
idea, so with this oops LVM goes higher up our to-do list.

Thanks very much,

Matt