Commit interval

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 03:37:57PM +0200, Mats Friberg wrote:

> I'm using ext3 on an embedded system with limited memory and are getting occasional Out of memory.
> Is there any way to reduce commit interval to make the journal smaller in memory?

There's no point --- the journal already does an early commit once you
get more than a certain fraction through the journal, and a space
limit rather than a time limit is obviously the right thing to do.
Since the fs is essentially operating out of memory between commits,
even a short commit interval can result in a lot of journal traffic.

> And what mode requires least memory and how much difference does it make?

They are all much the same.  What size of journal are you using?  How
much memory?  What kernel?

--Stephen