EXT3: tail packing status / a few questions

On Thu, 2002-04-04 at 23:10, IT3 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR-R wrote:
> Mr. Smit:
>
> 	With regard to the tail packing, yes, I need it; I am using a
> laptop with limited space. Any ideas on whether it has become a stable
> option to use yet in EXT3?

I personally do not think it would ever be included in EXT3 as one of
the main features of EXT3 is backwardscompatibility with EXT2 and I do
not think tailpacking would be backwardscompatible. But I'm not a
developer so I'm not sure about this.

> 	With regard to turning off the journaling via tune2fs, I think
> there is a bug in tune2fs. It seems that it did not reverse whatever
> needed to be reversed in order for Partition Magic to think the
> filesystem was EXT2 again and not EXT3. Any further ideas?

I would think this is a PQ problem because as far as I am aware when a
EXT3 filesystem is unmounted cleanly every EXT2-"only" application
should work smoothly with it.

Perhaps resize2fs is a solution for you (should be included in
e2fsprogs)? It's not as point/click as PQ but should otherwise work just
nicely. Or maybe even parted
(http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html). I've never worked with
it myself but I've heard good things about it.

Regards,

Erik Smit

PS: Why the excessively large signature? Your signature is almost just
as large as the message itself. :)