Problem adding ext3 support to tomsrtbt

On Apr 03, 2002  08:56 -0500, Tom Oehser wrote:
> I am upgrading the tomsrtbt rescue distribution from kernel 2.0.39 to 2.2.20.

Good to hear - I'm an avid tomsrtbt user.

> I am trying to support both ext3 and reiser filesystems.

In theory, you do not really need to support ext3 in the kernel, as long
as your e2fsck is new enough, because you can always clean up the
journal with e2fsck and then mount as ext2.

As a side note - there are configure options to e2fsprogs to reduce the
size of the resulting binaries (you may want to leave some of them
enabled if you will be including the relevant tools on tomsrtbt):
--disable-swapfs
--disable-debugfs
--disable-imager
--disable-resizer
--enable-elf-shlibs
--enable-dynamic-e2fsck

> However, there are symbol collisions, it is impossible to use both.

This is a common 2.2 problem.  Simply rename the colliding functions
in reiserfs to reiserfs_<foo>.  I believe they are journal_start and
one other function.  I normally did this with sed on the reiserfs patch
before applying it.

Cheers, Andreas