ext3 crash after RedHat 7.2 installation

i've had the same thing happen to my redhat 7.2 installation about three
times now.  each incident occurred immediately after gnome (ximian) hung
for no apparent reason and i was forced to shut down.  last time, i
simply reinstalled, since i had nothing of value on the machine.  i used
disk druid, and found that my / partition appeared empty.  this time,
i'd like to recover, since i have some important files on my drive.  i
haven't attempted to run e2fsck, since i dont have the redhat disks with
me.  i will run it and let you know what, if anything, i come up with.
 but any other suggestions would be much appreciated.  i'm not having
any hardware issues, so i dont think this is a hardware glitch (im using
a dell insprion 8100, by the way).  if anyone has any idea what might be
causing this (and i suppose it is related to gnome hanging), i'd
appreciate the input.
pjs