Re: Problem "cracking" a key_sig

If you've got a copy of the auth tok sig that was used, you can
repeatedly call ecryptfs-add-passphrase with your guess until you get
a match.  This will add the passphrase to your keyring, so you may
want to clean up bad guesses with keyctl.

To avoid this situation in the future I would suggest using either the
ecryptfs-manager or ecryptfs-insert-wrapped-passphrase commands to
load the passphrase to your keyring.  ecryptfs-manager will ask you to
enter your passphrase twice to catch typos and the
ecryptfs-insert-wrapped-passphrase command will fail if you enter the
wrapping passphrase incorrectly.  You can then use the auth tok sig in
your mount command instead of the actual passphrase.

# ecryptfs-insert-wrapped-passphrase-into-keyring ./wrapped.passphrase
Passphrase:
Inserted auth tok with sig [2df13936c580ecff] into the user session keyring

# mount -t ecryptfs ./.secret ./secret -o
ecryptfs_sig=2df13936c580ecff,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_key_bytes=32,key=passphrase,ecryptfs_enable_filename_crypto=n,ecryptfs_passthrough=n
Passphrase:
Attempting to mount with the following options:
  ecryptfs_unlink_sigs
  ecryptfs_fnek_sig=4e8a0ece5dbf48c8
  ecryptfs_key_bytes=16
  ecryptfs_cipher=aes
  ecryptfs_sig=ff09227dc73d8090
Mounted eCryptfs

You will still be prompted for a passphrase when mounting, but you can
enter anything and ecryptfs will use the sig you provided to locate
the passphrase in your keyring.  Be aware that the values for
ecryptfs_sig and ecryptfs_fnek_sig that will displayed after mounting
are bogus.  Also, always test mounting your filesystem a few times to
ensure there are no surprises and backup your passphrase to a secure
location.

-Damian

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Marc Peña Segarra <segarrra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 and I use ecryptfs to encrypt arbitrary
> directories; to mount the directories I use a command like this:
>
> sudo mount -t ecryptfs .secret/ secret/ -o
> key=passphrase,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_key_bytes=32,ecryptfs_passthrough=n,ecryptfs_enable_filename_crypto=n
>
> The thing is that, somehow, I messed it up when pasting the password
> on the first mount in one of the directories (yeah, I know that the
> message saying that I've never mounted with that key before should
> have been quite clarifying)...copied all the data and unmounted it.
>
> Now, when I mount it and try to read files I get errors and messages
> like this in dmesg:
>
> [ 4210.614158] ecryptfs_parse_options: eCryptfs: unrecognized option
> [ecryptfs_debug=5]
> [ 4215.347261] Could not find key with description: [306437480dxxxxxx]
> [ 4215.347269] process_request_key_err: No key
> [ 4215.347272] ecryptfs_parse_packet_set: Could not find a usable
> authentication token
> [ 4215.347277] Valid eCryptfs headers not found in file header region
> or xattr region, inode 919485
>
> After downloading the code of the Ubuntu package I found out that in
> the directory tests/userspace there were the tests for verifying
> passphase signs, so I thought that I could use that to iterate through
> mutations of the pasted passphrase in the hope of reproducing the mess
> I provoked.
>
> The problem I'm having is that the test program expects four parameters:
> pass
> salt
> expected_sig
> expected_fekek
>
> But since in my configuration I don't have a "file encryption key,
> encryption key" I don't know how I could modify it in order to try to
> find my passphrase; or should I use any other executable from
> ecryptfs?
>
> Thanks a lot!
> --

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential
or legally privileged information that is intended only for the individual
or entity named in the e-mail address. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify me by return e-mail, and destroy this
communication and all copies thereof, including any attachments.

Apervita ® is a registered trademark of Apervita Inc.